A good cook, in my opinion, has a lot of basic tools at his/her disposal. Some must-haves: a couple quick and crowd-pleasing weekday staples; the ability to whip up a tasty meal from mostly pantry ingredients (when in a pinch); can make rice and beans and quinoa from scratch; makes a “perfect” fried egg. And also… has a couple great marinades in their back pocket.
Marinades are key for really juicy, tender, and flavorful meats. Chicken breast (boneless skinless, especially) benefits from a great marinade, as it’s lower in fat and will tend to dry out more easily. This is why many people associate chicken and veggies as boring and flavorless. But I guarantee you – if you learn how to season and prep your veggies and chicken well, your life will be forever changed!
This Cilantro-Lime Chicken Marinade is a recent favorite and will be on repeat all Summer long. We love serving it with cilantro brown rice and either a side salad, or topping it with a chunky salsa (like my mango avocado salsa).
I hope you get to give this one a try soon!Print
A quick and easy chicken marinade that’s guaranteed to crowd-please. You can whisk together, pour over chicken, and let it soak for as little as 30 minutes – or up to overnight for maximum flavor. This recipe is designed for 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, but can easily be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, or liquid aminos (if gluten-free)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, minced garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add chopped parsley and stir.
- Place chicken breasts in a zip-top bag, and pour marinade mixture over top. Seal the bag, and gently shake and massage to make sure the chicken gets evenly coated.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (ideally between 2-8 hours). When ready, grill up your chicken breasts!