An easy, indulgent Valentine’s Day dessert for one. This mug cake is rich and chocolatey, with a delicious gooey center. It doesn’t require a lot of slaving away in the kitchen, or cumbersome clean-up, and it’s made with wholesome, good-for-you ingredients like oat flour, coconut oil, dark chocolate, and unrefined coconut sugar.
- 1/4 cup oat flour (See notes)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons oat milk, coconut milk, or milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee (Optional, but highly recommended!)
- 1/2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped, plus more for shavings on top
- Coconut whipped cream, for topping (See notes)
- Grease a large, microwave-safe mug with cooking spray, or lightly coat with oil of choice.
- Add oat flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt to mug, and whisk together until well-combined, and until no clumps remain.
- Add the egg, oat milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and espresso powder, and again whisk until everything is well-incorporated and no flour is left at the bottom of the mug. Be sure your melted coconut oil is not steaming hot when added to the mixture, as you don’t want to scramble the raw egg.
- Spoon your chopped dark chocolate into the center of the mug, and cover with batter on top. (You want the chocolate to create a gooey center filling.)
- Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, or until the mug cake has puffed up and is cooked through.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings, and enjoy!
- If you don’t have oat flour on hand, you can make your own by running an equal amount of plain, old-fashioned oats through a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse for 30 seconds to a minute or two (or until finely milled), and voila – oat flour!
- You can use store-bought coconut whipped cream, but I highly recommend making your own. It’s super easy, and I love having leftovers on hand for spooning over berries, oatmeal, hot chocolate, and desserts when company comes over. This tutorial from Minimalist Baker is wonderful, and she does a great job breaking down which brands of canned coconut milk will yield the best results. (Hint: not all are created equal!)
Keywords: mug cake, healthy mug cake, chocolate mug cake, valentine's day desserts, valentine's day treats, healthy valentine's day recipes