One of my all-time favorite brunch spots in New York City, Two Hands, is home to a legendary house banana bread that they top with espresso marscapone, honey, and puffed buckwheat. I’ve never been able to try it because of my dairy allergy, but after years of pining, I decided to recreate it on my own at home.
My version is gluten- and dairy-free, the marscapone is entirely vegan, and the banana bread can easily be made vegan as well if you substitute a flax egg for a real one. Two slices makes a weekend breakfast that will keep you full for hours, thanks to all the fiber and healthy fats in my version, and you’ll love knowing it’s free of refined sugars.
Instead of straight puffed buckwheat, I topped my toast with Trader Joes’ Super Seed & Ancient Grain Blend, which has chia, flax, hemp, red quinoa, amaranth, and sprouted buckwheat and millet.
Olive Oil-Honey Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (My favorite is this one, because it uses chickpea flour as a base and is higher in fiber)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon).
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (bananas through vanilla extract).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Fold in walnuts, if using.
- Transfer mixture to the loaf pan, and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
Vegan Espresso Marscapone
- 1 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3/4 cup oat or coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. espresso (or strong coffee), chilled
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender until a thick, fluffy marscapone-like consistency has been reached.